Some of my readers have asked me, why COLIBRI? They are interested to know why I don’t use “I” when writing my posts. As you know, marketing is not about us; it’s about our clients and readers.
For that reason, I took myself out of it so that a small but mighty bird could tell the story of and tips about solopreneurship, online marketing, publishing, and social media.
Also, COLIBRI has a history and symbolism that motivate me online and off. I, COLIBRI (the bird behind the brand), would like to share with you, my readers, a little bit about what the ANNACOLIBRI logo and brand mean to me.
My attraction to hummingbirds started when I was a small child living in Pacific Grove, California. In that little town by the sea, we have a natural history museum, and in the museum, in one dusty case near the stairs going to the second floor, I found Anna’s hummingbird. Naturally, I was pleased that such a pretty little bird had been named after me!
Much later, a dear friend nicknamed me Zun Zun (an onomatopoeic Cuban word for hummingbird). She thought of me, she said, because of my natural energy.
In a Paris bookstore, I found a version of this story, written by Pierre Rabbhi, a farmer, politician, and spiritual practitioner:
The forest was shining and green, dense with trees, flowers and food. The animals played and worked together by the river, tending their homes and sharing their lives. Out of nowhere, a storm erupted and bolts of lightening shattered the peace. One bolt of lightening struck an old tree and suddenly, fire was everywhere. The animals did not know what to do. They were filled with fear and ran this way and that, trying to save themselves, their possessions and their families. While the forest burned, Monkey saw Hummingbird doing something different from the rest. He was going back and forth from river to fire, carrying droplets of water in his tiny beak and tossing them on the flames. Monkey screamed and pointed at him, stopping the animals around them in their tracks. He said to Hummingbird, “What are you doing there, Hummingbird? Everyone knows you can’t save this forest with your tiny drops of water!” Hummingbird kept working, but he replied to Monkey, “I am doing my part.”
I love the socially conscious spirit of this story, and it reminds me that all I can do is my best.
The COLIBRI, especially Anna’s hummingbird, is a truly amazing creature. Here are some reasons why:
- COLIBRI means hummingbird in many modern languages, including French, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Finnish, and Swedish. Because the word COLIBRI is recognized in so many languages it expresses an appreciation for the value of multiculturalism.
- Anna’s hummingbird was named after Anna Masséna, the French Duchess of Rivoli. This shows good taste and savoir-faire.
- Anna’s hummingbird is the fastest animal on earth, able to flourish and fly under forces 10 times the pull of gravity. This shows grace under pressure.
- Hummingbirds, living only in the Americas, have the strongest heart of any animal. This is the embodiment of courage.
- Hummingbirds can fly in all directions, including backward. This shows creativity, flexibility, and zest for life.
- Hummingbirds are pollinators, meaning they contribute directly to the web of life.
- Despite their tiny size, hummingbirds are fierce fighters and constant hard workers. This shows determination and strength.
- COLIBRIS suck nectar from flowers as their primary means of survival. Nectar is naturally sweet and juicy. This shows the hummingbird’s appreciation of pleasure (and how to mix it with business).
- Hummingbirds, with their jewel-toned feathers, are bright and beautiful. Their natural beauty sets a standard.
- Anna’s hummingbird is not on the endangered species list, showing an ability to thrive even during difficult times.
The ANNA COLIBRI logo was created by Stephen Standridge, a local San Francisco illustrator, artist, and programmer.
I love COLIBRI and everything she stands for. My company, ANNACOLIBRI, strives to embody the spirit and qualities of Anna’s hummingbird at work, play, and life.
Now that I’ve told you my story, I would love to hear yours.
Logos are such an important foundational element for building your brand. At their best, they represent your values and your esthetics. When you are a solopreneur, loving your logo is energizing and motivating. It would be my pleasure to help you create a logo you can love just as much as I love mine.
Click here to set up a meeting.
Do you need digital marketing services? Please connect with us for a complimentary digital strategy session! Just click the button below to get started.