The Bird Behind the Brand
The forest was shining and green, dense with trees, flowers, and food. The animals played and worked together by the river, tending their homes and sharing their lives. Out of nowhere, a storm erupted and bolts of lightning shattered the peace. One bolt of lightning struck an old tree and suddenly, fire was everywhere.
The animals did not know what to do. They were filled with fear and ran this way and that, trying to save themselves, their possessions, and their families. While the forest burned, Monkey saw Hummingbird doing something different from the rest.
She was going back and forth from river to fire, carrying droplets of water in her tiny beak and tossing them on the flames. Monkey screamed and pointed at her, stopping the animals around them in their tracks. He said to Hummingbird, “What are you doing there, Hummingbird? Everyone knows you can’t save this forest with your tiny drops of water!”
As Hummingbird kept working, she replied to Monkey, “I am doing my part.”
Once upon a time, in a Paris bookstore, Anna Colibri found a French version of the above story, written by Pierre Rabbhi, a farmer, politician, and spiritual practitioner. She loved the socially conscious spirit of this story, and it reminded her that the Colibri Digital Marketing brand represents doing our best and nothing less for people, planet, and profit.
Anna’s attraction to hummingbirds started when she didn’t even know what a brand was. She was a young child living in Pacific Grove, California. In that little town by the sea, there is a natural history museum, and in the museum, in one dusty case near the stairs going to the second floor, she found Anna’s Hummingbird. As a little girl, she was pleased that such a pretty little bird was named after her!
Bird Meets Brand: What Colibri Digital Marketing and Hummingbirds Have in Common
We don’t mind occasional boasting! The Colibri, especially Anna’s hummingbird, is a truly unique creature. Here are some reasons why:
- Multiculturalism. Colibri means hummingbird in many modern languages, including French, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Finnish, and Swedish. Because the word colibri is recognized in so many languages, it expresses an appreciation for the value of multiculturalism.
- Good taste and savoir faire. Anna’s hummingbird was named after Anna Masséna, the French Duchess of Rivoli. This shows good taste and savoir-faire.
- Grace under pressure. Anna’s hummingbird is the fastest animal on earth, able to flourish and fly under forces ten times the pull of gravity. This shows grace under pressure.
- Courage. Hummingbirds, living only in the Americas, have the strongest heart of any animal. This is the embodiment of courage.
- Creativity, flexibility and zest. Hummingbirds can fly in all directions, including backward. This shows creativity, flexibility, and zest for life.
- Ecology. Hummingbirds are pollinators, meaning they contribute directly to the web of life.
- Consistency and perseverance. Despite their tiny size, hummingbirds are fierce fighters and constant hard workers. This shows strength, determination, persistence, and consistency.
- Sense of fun. Colibris suck nectar from flowers as their primary means of survival. Nectar is naturally sweet and juicy. This shows the hummingbird’s appreciation of pleasure.
- Form and function. Hummingbirds, with their jewel-toned feathers, are bright and beautiful. Their natural beauty sets a standard for combining form and function.
- Adaptability. Anna’s hummingbird is not on the endangered species list, showing an ability to thrive during both the good times and the challenging.
We love colibris and everything they stand for. Colibri Digital Marketing, a triple bottom line business, strives to embody the spirit and qualities of Anna’s hummingbird at work, play, and life.
The original Colibri Digital Marketing logo was created by Stephen Standridge, a local San Francisco illustrator, artist, and programmer.
Logos are a foundational element for building your brand. At their best, they represent your values, ethics, and esthetics while making sure you are memorable — in a good way — online and off. Loving your logo is energizing and motivating. It would be our pleasure to help you create a logo and digital strategy you can love just as much as we love ours.