Marketing SaaS products is hard enough – but doing it without a content marketing plan is suicide. This blog post will walk you through how to start building your content strategy from day one. We’ll cover everything from creating valuable content to targeting the right audience and measuring success. So read on for all the details!
Define Your Targeted Audience
The first step in content marketing is identifying your target audience. Who are you trying to reach with your content? What are their needs and pain points? Once you understand your ideal customer well, you can start creating content that appeals to them.
“For a SaaS business, content marketing is something that can build or break them. If you are showing the right content to the right audience at the right time, you certainly can get up to 1000% ROI from your content marketing efforts.” – Vibhu Dhariwal, Co-founder, Digital Gratified, a SaaS Digital Marketing Agency.
How To Find Your Targeted Audience?
There are several ways to identify your target audience. One is to look at your existing customer base and segment them into different groups. Another is to use market research tools like surveys and focus groups.
You can also conduct a marketing audit to understand your competition and what type of content they are creating. This will give you insights into what is already out there and help you find a niche for your content.
Create Your Content Marketing Goals
The next step is to set some goals for your content marketing campaign. What do you want to achieve with your content? Do you want to drive traffic to your website? Generate leads? Increase brand awareness?
Your goals should be specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and time-bound (SMART). This will help you track your progress and see if your content has the desired effect.
How To Measure Your SaaS Content Marketing Success?
There are several metrics you can use to measure the success of your content marketing campaign. These include website traffic, generated leads, social media engagement, and conversion rates.
You should also track how much time and money you spend on your content marketing efforts. This will help you see if your campaigns are cost-effective and whether or not they are worth the investment.
Also, do track your progress over time and make adjustments as needed. Tracking will help you fine-tune your content marketing strategy and ensure that it is as effective as possible.
Choose Relevant Content Distribution Channels
Once you clearly understand your goals and target audience, it’s time to start thinking about how you will distribute your content. You can use several channels to reach your audience, including social media, email, paid advertising, and search engine optimization (SEO).
- Social Media: If you’re new to social media, it can be overwhelming to try and figure out where to start. The most important thing is to choose the right platform for your business. If you’re B-to-B, LinkedIn is a great option. If you’re B-to-C, Facebook and Instagram are good choices.
- Email: Email is a great way to reach your target audience with content. You can use email newsletters, autoresponders, and even cold emailing to get your content in front of people.
- Paid Advertising: Paid advertising can be a great way to reach your target audience but can also be expensive. You’ll need to carefully consider your budget and goals before deciding if this is the right option for you.
- SEO: Search engine optimization is a process of improving your website and content search visibility. This can be done through keyword research, link building, and creating informative content.
Start Creating Engaging Content
Now that you know who you’re targeting and how you will reach them, it’s time to start creating some content. The most important thing is ensuring your content is engaging and informative. No one wants to read a boring blog post or watch a dull video.
Your content should also be relevant to your target audience. If you’re selling a new type of software, your content should be about the software and how it can benefit your audience.
Leverage The Power Of Video Content
Video is one of the most powerful content marketing tools available. People are likelier to watch a video than read a blog post or article. Videos are also great for building trust and credibility with your audience.
If you’re unsure where to start, you can use many video content ideas, including product demonstrations, how-to guides, customer testimonials, and company culture videos.
SaaS Content Marketing Metrics To Track
Now that you know what types of content to create, it’s time to start thinking about how you will measure your success. Here are a few key metrics to track
- Website Traffic: How many people are visiting your website? This can be tracked using Google Analytics or a similar tool.
- Leads Generated: How many leads are you generating from your content? This can be tracked using CRM software or a marketing automation tool.
- Social Media Engagement: How much engagement are you getting on social media? This can include things like likes, comments, and shares.
- Conversion Rate: How many people are converting from leads to customers? This can be tracked using tools like HubSpot, Unbounce, etc.
- Time Spent: How much time are you spending creating and promoting your content? This includes writing blog posts, recording videos, and creating images.
- Money Spent: How much money are you spending on content marketing? This includes paying for a video editor, hiring a writer, or buying advertising.
By tracking these metrics, you’ll see what’s working and what isn’t. This will help you adjust your strategy as needed.
Don’t forget to track your goals and target audience. This will help you ensure that your content is relevant and engaging. If you do not see the desired results, don’t be afraid to make changes. The most important thing is to keep trying until you find a strategy that works for you.
Content marketing can be a great way to reach your target audience and promote your new SaaS product. However, it’s essential to carefully consider your goals, target audience, and content distribution channels before you start. Once you clearly understand these things, you can start creating engaging content to help you reach your goals.
By tracking key metrics, you’ll be able to see what’s working and make adjustments as needed. With a little trial and error, you’ll be able to find a content marketing strategy that works for your business.
Interested in learning more about marketing Saas? Schedule a session with our marketing team, and start now.
Author Bio: Vibhu is Co-Founder & Director of Marketing at Digital Gratified, a SaaS Digital Marketing Agency. He likes sharing his experience in outreach marketing, link building, content marketing, and SEO with readers.